Aside from home, work is typically a place that us working adults spend a lot of our time. Because we spend so much time at work, the quality of our environment can play a major role in our well-being and mental health.
Working in a toxic or unhealthy work environment can cause dissatisfaction day to day, which can carry over into your personal life. Possible signs of a toxic work environment to look out for: a toxic boss, toxic colleagues, a noticeable increase in your personal stress, inconsistencies in staff expectations, and employees constantly quitting and being fired.
Having to deal with any of these stressors (and those not listed) over time can induce symptoms of depression, anxiety, fatigue, and burnout. Additionally, if these mental health symptoms persist long enough, it could cause someone to second guess their work performance and affect their self-esteem.
If you feel like you may work in a toxic work environment, consider the following questions:
- Do you wake up and dread going to work?
- Are you constantly being overworked without any acknowledgement?
- Are you worried about the politics of upper management?
- Do you leave the office and ruminate about everything that needs to be done, could be done, should have been done?
- Due to work stress, has there been any recent changes to your diet, sleep, or mood?
If you are experiencing any of these concerns and mental health changes due to an unhealthy work environment, please give me a call and I would love to help you get back to where you want to be in terms of your work and personal life satisfaction.